Guest posted by Floyd Boles
Most people desire, sometimes earnestly strive, to know or determine their future. To illustrate, if a crystal ball promised to give you a clue, would you be remotely tempted to read it? Yet, we have in our possession something much more reliable on that subject than crystal balls - more reliable than anything else known to man. That "something" is God's word (the Bible). As you read this, you need to know more than anything how much God loves you. His will is that everyone would believe in faith that He sent His one and only Son, Jesus Christ, to willingly suffer and die on a cross, to pay your sin debt (disobedience to God’s will). He did this out of His great love for you. And, He desires to give you a future that only He can deliver - eternal life with Him through His Grace (undeserved favor) and Mercy.
Only God knows your future because He created all things (Genesis 1) and carries out His plan. And, there is a verse in God’s Word that summarizes your future if you will believe in Jesus Christ and seek to live for Him; it also summarizes your future if you don't. John 3:36 reads, “Whoever believes in the Son [Jesus Christ] has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.” To further elaborate on this, below are more excerpts from the Bible (ESV [emphasis added]) that reveal both futures.
Your Future If You Believe:
- “Repent [be sorry for your sins and turn away from them, seeking to live for God] and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” Acts 2:38
- “Whoever has the Son [Jesus] has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life [eternal life]. 1 John 5:12
- “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes [Jesus] has eternal life.” Jesus in John 6:47
- “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears My word [Jesus’s teaching’s in the Bible] and believes Him [God] who sent Me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death [eternal separation from God in Hell] to life [eternity with God in Heaven].”
- “Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in Me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in Me shall never die.’” John 11:25-26a. [All believers in Jesus Christ will have eternal life in a new eternal body in heaven with Christ forever].
- “Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God.” 1 John 4:15
- “No one who abides in Him [believes in Jesus Christ] keeps on sinning.” 1 John 3:6a
- “God is light [perfectly holy and righteous], and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say we have fellowship with Him while we walk in darkness [sin], we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light [God’s truth, holiness, purity - the Bible teachings], we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.” 1 John 1:5-7
- “And this is His [God’s] commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as He has commanded us.” 1 John 3:23
“The one who conquers [perseveres in faith] will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life. I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels.” Revelation 3:5
Your Future if You Don’t Believe:
According to God's Word, if you don’t believe, your name will not be written there. God's Word tells us that on the Day of Judgment (after He comes back and later judges the world), if a person's name is not found in the book of life, that person will be thrown into the lake of fire forever. This is called the second death (the one after physical death). No matter what we may wish or think, this will happen according God’s Word.
- “This is the second death, the lake of fire. And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.” Revelation 20:14-15
- “God did not spare angels when they sinned [some followed Satan in sin against God - Isaiah 14], but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment.” 2 Peter 2:4
- “Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.” Jude 1:7
- “I will warn you [unbelievers] whom to fear: fear Him [God] who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear Him!” Luke 12:5
- “In flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His might.” 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9
- “As for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.” Revelation 21:8. [There will be no more hope, but eternal separation from God in eternal suffering].
- “By Him [Jesus Christ] all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.” Colossians 1:16-17. [There is only one eternal living God who manifests Himself in the Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit as seen at Jesus’s baptism (Matthew 3:16-17)].
- “Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other.” Isaiah 45:22
How to Believe:
How can you have your name written in the book of life, be saved from Hell, and live in Heaven with God for all eternity? Simply by believing in Jesus Christ who paid your sin debt by dying on the cross and rising alive from the grave.
- “Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.’” John 14:6
- “For God so loved the world [people], that he gave His only Son [Jesus], that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16
- “If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified [forgiven just as if you never sinned], and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.” Romans 10:9-10
Simply pray, sincerely asking God to forgive you for your sins and place your trust in Jesus as your Lord and Savior. Then, follow Him by telling others who He is and what He did for them. Click HERE to learn more about this simple prayer.
How to be Sure that You Believe:
You can know your future is with God when you feel comfortable around other believers as loved ones (because you believe in Jesus Christ), and you tell others that Jesus is Lord (Romans 10:9-10, above).
- “We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brothers [other believers]. Whoever does not love abides in death.” 1 John 3:14
- “The Spirit [God’s Holy Spirit] Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God.” Romans 8:16
You can purchase the book "Reason If You Will - How To Answer Questions Regarding Faith" by clicking HERE. Profits go to Camp Bahamas. You can also follow @ReasonIfYouWill on Twitter.